- Scientific Evidence Supports a Ban on Microbeads
Environmental Science & TechnologyRochman, Kross, Armstrong, Bogan, Darling, Green, Smyth, and Veríssimo
2015 49 (18), pp 1
- Microplastic Pollution in Table Salts from China
2015 49 (22), pp 7
Abstract: Microplastics have been found in seas all over the world. We hypothesize that sea salts might contain microplastics, because they are directly supplied by seawater. To test our hypothesis, we collected 15 brands of sea salts, lake salts, and rock/well ...
- Role of Anaerobic Ammonium Oxidation (Anammox) in Nitrogen Removal from a Freshwater Aquifer
2015 49 (20), pp 7
Abstract: Anaerobic ammonium oxidation (anammox) couples the oxidation of ammonium with the reduction of nitrite, producing N2. The presence and activity of anammox bacteria in groundwater were investigated at multiple locations in an aquifer variably affected by a ...
- Synthesis and Performance of a Biomimetic Indicator for Alkylating Agents
The Journal of Organic ChemistryProvencher and Love
2015 80 (19), pp 9603–9609
Abstract: 4-(4-Nitrobenzyl)pyridine (NBP) is a colorimetric indicator compound for many types of carcinogenic alkylating agents. Because of the similar reactivity of NBP and guanine in DNA, NBP serves as a DNA model. NBP assays are used in the toxicological ...
- Unravelling New Processes at Interfaces: Photochemical Isoprene Production at the Sea Surface
2015 49 (22), pp 5
Abstract: Isoprene is an important reactive gas that is produced mainly in terrestrial ecosystems but is also produced in marine ecosystems. In the marine environment, isoprene is produced in the seawater by various biological processes. Here, we show that ...
- Elevated Accumulation of Parabens and their Metabolites in Marine Mammals from the United States Coastal Waters
2015 49 (20), pp 9
Abstract: The widespread exposure of humans to parabens present in personal care products is well-known. Nevertheless, little is known about the accumulation of parabens in marine organisms. In this study, six parabens and four common metabolites of parabens were ...